New York Times Hardcover Fiction Bestsellers
January 19, 2020
1. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia OwensIn a quiet town on the North Carolina coast in 1969, a young woman who survived alone in the marsh becomes a murder suspect.
2. The Guardians by John GrishamCullen Post, a lawyer and Episcopal minister, antagonizes some ruthless killers when he takes on a wrongful conviction case.
3. Such a Fun Age by Kiley ReidTumult ensues when Alix Chamberlain's babysitter is mistakenly accused of kidnapping her charge.
4. The Silent Patient by Alex MichaelidesTheo Faber looks into the mystery of a famous painter who stops speaking after shooting her husband.
5.The Dutch House by Ann PatchettA sibling relationship is impacted when the family goes from poverty to wealth and back again over the course of many decades.
6. Criss Cross by James PattersonThe 27th book in the Alex Cross series. Copycat crimes make the detective question whether an innocent man was executed.
7. The Institute by Stephen KingChildren with special talents are abducted and sequestered in an institution where the sinister staff seeks to extract their gifts through harsh methods.
8. The Giver of Stars by Jojo MoyesIn Depression-era Kentucky, five women refuse to be cowed by men or convention as they deliver books.
9. A Minute to Midnight by David BaldacciWhen Atlee Pine returns to her hometown to investigate her sister's kidnapping from 30 years ago, she winds up tracking a potential serial killer.
11. The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi CoatesA young man who was gifted with a mysterious power becomes part of a war between slavers and the enslaved.
12. The Testaments by Margaret AtwoodIn a sequel to The Handmaid's Tale, old secrets bring three women together as the Republic of Gilead's theocratic regime shows signs of decay.
13. Olive, Again by Elizabeth StroutIn a follow-up to the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel Olive Kitteridge, new relationships, including a second marriage, are encountered in a seaside town in Maine.
14. The Starless Sea by Erin MorgensternZachary Ezra Rawlins fights to save a labyrinthine underground repository of stories.
15. Twisted Twenty-Six by Janet EvanovichThe 26th book in the Stephanie Plum series. A New Jersey gangster's associates go after a bounty hunter's widowed grandmother.
200 North Dakota Avenue
P.O. Box 7403
Sioux Falls, South Dakota 57117