New York Times Hardcover Nonfiction Bestsellers
May 21, 2017
1. Astrophysics for People in a Hurry
Neil deGrasse Tyson
A straightforward, easy-to-understand introduction to the universe and the forces and laws that govern it.
2. Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy
Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant
Sandberg's experience after her husband's sudden death and Grant's psychological research combine to provide insight on facing adversity and building resilience.
3. Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign
Jonathan Allen and Amie Parnes
An examination of Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign.
4. Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
The story of a murder spree in 1920s Oklahoma that targeted Osage Indians, whose lands contained oil. The fledgling F.B.I. intervened, ineffectively.
5. This Fight Is Our Fight: The Battle to Save America's Middle Class
The Massachusetts senator calls for restored financial regulation, stronger social programs, and renewed investment in education, research and infrastructure.
6. The Operator: Firing the Shots That Killed Osama bin Laden and my Years as a SEAL Team Warrior
The 400-mission career of a SEAL Team operator.
7. Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis
A Yale Law School graduate looks at the struggles of America's white working class through his own childhood.
8. Old School: Life in the Sane Lane
Bill O'Reilly and Bruce Feirstein
A defense of "old school" traditional values.
9. The American Spirit: Who We Are and What We Stand For
A collection of speeches by the Pulitzer Prize-winning historian, focused on American values.
10. Hallelujah Anyway: Rediscovering Mercy
The importance of mercy in our lives.
11. The Magnolia Story
Chip Gaines and Joanna Gaines with Mark Dagostino
The lives of the couple who star in the HGTV show
12. Black Privilege: Opportunity Comes to Those Who Create It
Charlamagne Tha God
The radio personality presents his life story and offers advice for success.
13. The Secrets of My Life
Caitlyn Jenner with Buzz Bissinger
14. You Don't Look Your Age...And Other Fairy Tales
A TV producer's miscellany about women and work, family and, especially aging.
15. The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World
the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu with Douglas Abrams
Two spiritual leaders discuss how to find joy in the face of suffering.
© 2017 All rights reserved by New York Times Syndication Sales Corp. This material may not be published, broadcast or redistributed in any manner.
A version of this list appears in the May 21, 2017 issue of The New York Times Book Review. Rankings reflect sales for the week ending May 6, 2017.
Mid-Hudson Library System
103 Market Street
Poughkeepsie, New York 12601